Smoke Enders Program or help with other habits in need of changing.
The Facts: over 45 million Americans smoke, some casual, some regular and others hardliners. They also affect non smokers with 2nd hand smoke exposure, although in recent years this is less especially in public places where new rules are in place. As a result, the number of smokers seem to be diminishing somewhat, but no so much in teens and young adults who believe themselves to be impervious and invincible, so they continue to start smoking.
The average smoker can plan on losing an average of 15-20 years of life due to the complications of smoking with all its inherent carcinogenous which play havoc on one’s body for up to 10 years or more after smoking cessation: who can afford to miss out on that many years of life including all of life’s special events.
Smoking can cause lung cancer and emphysema which is an irrversible lung condition, but did you know that smoking also increases the risk of throat cancer, pancreas cancer, colon cancer and even bladder cancer; not to mention coronary artery disease with increase risk of heart attack and stroke.
COPD emphysema is life changing. Eventually as the disease progresses with continued smoker exposure it is devasting. Many smokers end up on O2 (oxygen) and eventually ventilators just to stay alive. The effect or quality of life is horrible, not to mention the ever increasing costs of cigarettes. This is why it is so important to quit – if you quit now you could be at stage zero with little risk in 10 years.
Glades Medical Group will help you quit this nasty, costly and life threatening habit. Be done with bad breath, burnt and ruined clothes and shortness of breath. Lets get high on diet, exercise and life! You don’t know how good you will feel when you kick the habit!
Glades Medical can enroll you in a program suitable for you, follow you, monitor you, encourage you and save you from all the ill effects from smoking. This is our mission for you and your family will thank us over and over after you have succeed! It won’t be easy since many smokers will fall off the wagon. The difference is a medical team to support you and be there every step of the way. This is not a punishment, but a reward for making the tough decision to quit smoking.
Explore our weight management and lifestyle programs – you bring the desire we will provide the expertise and support.
So let’s get started!
First let’s sit down together and review your individual situation. Lets set a plan and then attack the addication. We accept set backs but not failure. We generally start with a chest x-ray as well as lab and pulmonary functions testing.
Medication is available, by prescription only to get through the beginning phase.
- Try not to smoke till the end of the day.
- Don’t look for cigarettes as a way of dealing with stress.
- Aviod and resist the first cigarette.
- Try to imerse yourself in other actitivies which are healthier such as exercise program, biking, walking or swimming. You’ll be surprise how out of shape and out of breathe you are from smoking, its a real eye opener. But you will also see the improvement tey to tacketfully aviod other people who smoke at least temporary until you have quit. or you can change their life as well.
- Never give into first one cigarette when out. Rarely can anyone be a social smoker you’ll sacrifice all your progress. Dont be a fool and “burn” a smoke.
- Try to encourage your spouse or significant other from smoking, there is nothing worse than your wife or husband lightening up around you, while you are trying to quit. Try to quit together, misery loves company! In most cases, after 2 weeks without cigarettes you are almost smoke free, especially if you are doing other healthier activities.
- Let everyone know you need help and support. Take the cigarette maoney you have saved and treat yourself to something nice. ou’ve earned it!
- Read up on your own, the ill effects and tragic illness acquired by smoking. You’ll be amazed and will hopefully outsmart this addication.
- Don’t try to diet at the same time! Drink extra water and prepare snaks that are healthy nibble foods to aviod smoking.
Through your physician, there are a variety of products out there that can help including:
- Patches transderm
- Chantix – a relountionary product called chantix which affects the smoking “pleasure center” of the brain.
Change your routine and aviod routines that involve smoking. At first the habits are too easy but consciously change your routine to aviod the urge to smoke.
Glades Medical Group will help you keep a calendar/diary and will meet with you to go over problems and to adjust your care as needed. Medical issues may occur that will require closer follow-up or a change in your treatment.
Don’t be afraid to make the first appointment – we will help you the rest of the way and give you our medical healthy living certificate when you reach your goal.
Visualize looking better, breathing better, feeling better and being less depressed about your smoking habit.